Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day weekend and strawberries

Growing up I never quite understood Memorial Day until I was about 10 or 11 yrs. old. We went to the local park, watched the parade of sorts and heard the band play many military songs. Then we would walk home the 3 blocks and have strawberry shortcake or watermelon. I humbly thank the men and women who have served, and are still serving our country! Laying down their lives for me and you is almost unimaginable!! Thank you and bless you!!
So with that in mind I made Jennifer Reese's pound cake which is the best recipe out there, thank you Jennifer!!! We will have some later tonight with a little coffee!! Recipe for pound cake is this with one minor tweak: 2 sticks of softened butter, 2 cups of flour(you can use cake flour, however I did not), 2 cups of sugar, 5 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Beat the butter with the whisking attachment of the mixer, add the sugar and beat for 5 minutes(not 4 or 6, but 5 minutes)!!!! Add the eggs one at a time, then the flour, baking powder and lemon juice. PLEASE have the oven preheated to 325 degrees, pour the batter into greased loaf pan and place in oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick or cake tester to make sure the cake is done, Center should come out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan. I try to tap the pan on the counter to release the loaf, or try a knife around the outside edge of the pan. Wrap well and it will keep for a week, yeah, if you can leave it alone and quit slicing a little slice all day long!!!! Blessings and Hugs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm back!

 Hello, I hope everyone is well and will find this blog again! I'm going to try and blog again!  So much has happened in the last two ye...